March 2, 2010

Best application of The Cave's technology: Adult Entertainment

Technology is a phenomenon that has been advancing exponentially over the last 100 years. Bill Gates was quoted as saying, not even 20 years ago, that the private consumer would never need more than 1GB of hard drive space. I remember when my family got our first computer with Windows 95 and dial-up internet. Now, Windows 95 and much faster internet can be run on a cell phone. When I first got my own computer just 5 years ago, it came with a 100GB hard drive which was top of the line and I thought I could never fill it up. In the last generation, we’ve advanced from radio to silent black and white movies, to black and white with sound, to color tv, to stereo sound, to surround sound, to high definition, to HD 3-D, and now to immersive 3-D. At the rate these technologies advance, everyone will have an immersive 3-D setup in their homes within 20 years or less (I do not claim to have the know-how to make such a prediction, so I am playing it safe with that estimate). Even though I am aware of such technological advancements, it always surprises me when I see it firsthand. The Cave, at the University of Arizona, was built 5 years ago and cost about $400,000, and already the technology is available for the average consumer to own a 3-D capable television. My experience there really made me marvel at people’s technological prowess once again, but more than anything, it just made me want to see James Cameron’s Avatar again (that is SUCH a good movie!).
As far as my experience with the cave directly, I felt that the technology was stunted by the programming. I had hoped for an immersive environment (like a video game world), yet all we got were three dimensional models (which didn’t really look that good in 3-D). The flaws in the 3-D effects could be fixed by a few little changes (like a spherical projection plane, the edges between the surfaces ruined the 3-D effects). What really amazed me were the audio tracking applications that allowed the user to walk around in the digital environment. But, we all experienced it, so I don’t really need to go into detail. In the end, I enjoyed the experience because it opened my eyes, once again, to the wonderment of technological advancement and gave new dreams for my video gaming future.

I would like to know:

Did you find anything less/more intriguing than I did during your experience in The Cave (ie 3-D tech, motion tracking, etc.)?

Are you looking forward to this kind of technology being available to consumers? Why/why not?

What kind of program would you have liked to see available at The Cave (I alluded to the idea of a digital world to walk around in, or having something that moved on its own within the program)? I will give a prize to the most unique idea.

5 comments:

Sean March 3, 2010 at 6:21 PM  

I can safely say that the CAVE was one of the most interesting experiences that I have had at the university. All that I could think about was the entertainment possibilities that it offered after stepping inside of it. The idea of a three-dimensional environment that not only was 3D-looking, but also interactive (moving, looking around, moving objects, etc) was almost mind-blowing, even though the technology really isn't anything revolutionary, just a complex combination of existing tech.

One idea that I have for the CAVE that they may already even do already is the modeling of buildings in such a way that one could walk around inside, outside, and around. This would be perfect for architects showcasing their designs to clients. ...of course the natural evolution of a building that one can walk around in is to add guns and enemies, but that's just the gamer in me talking.

Zach March 4, 2010 at 11:07 AM  

I agree with Sean, the CAVE experience was very interesting. While I do feel as though there were some aspects of it that weren't as "advanced" as I was expecting (graphics) the overall feeling of the object being right there in front of me was hard to ignore. Initially, when all there was was a grid and we made the spheres appear, I was pretty underwhelmed. But as soon as we were able to tour a heart, I was hooked.

Also, as we were walking out of the CAVE Nate and I were also discussing how the CAVE would be great for "touring" a mock up of a building. Naturally, our discussion also went towards video games quickly as well.

mehawley March 4, 2010 at 9:11 PM  

Karl I agree that the box like walls limited the 3-D experience, however I would argue that it didn't ruin it; without those walls it wouldn't have been possible. However there is always room for improvement. A great example of a spherical projection plane that you spoke of is Morrison Planetarium at the California Academy of Science. http://www.calacademy.org/academy/exhibits/planetarium/. I have been there and the site doesn't properly boast of the planetarium. It is a seamless projection on conjured by six mega projectors; the experience is so amazing an awe-inspiring that it could cause nausea. This idea of spherical projection plane poses a challenge for 3D projection becoming an in-home commodity; perhaps consumers would not be content with the limited box-like walls in their house. Could 3D projection technology change the face of the standard American family room so that it could incorporate a spherical end? Perhaps.

kaitline March 5, 2010 at 12:59 PM  

I have just come up with a wonderful idea!!!! I think that it would be really cool to see the cave used in a setting like a planetarium. Not just because it would be a really neat and clever way to study space and astronomy, but because a domed version of the cave would alleviate some of its shortfalls. I also would really like to see the cave used in classes. Unfortunately, class sizes cause the cave to be an addition rather than a regular activity. I think that we will eventually have problems with this technology though. I think people are eventually going to all have it in some capacity and they are going to spend more time in their fantasy worlds than reality. If anyone has read the Pendragon book series, there is a place the main character goes to called “Veelox.” In this place, everyone is in a virtual reality pyramid and they have completely rejected real life for the joys of fantasy. I am frightened of the consequences that this technology could have…of course, some people reject reality to lock themselves in basements to play video games too…but that is a different topic.

Lauren March 5, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

I have read the specific Pendragon book Kaitline is talking about and agree that that aspect of a virtual reality world that takes over the real lives of people is incredibly scary. It is essentially the Matrix. But I also have to admit that I found the CAVE immensely interesting and would not mind spending hours and hours there exploring just the different applications there, let alone when the technology is improved and even more lifelike than before. A use of the CAVE I would personally love to see would be to place yourself among the crowd at a concert put on by your favorite band and be able to interact with other virtual reality users in that crowd. It would make watching live music videos that much more personal. However until the technology of the CAVE allows for all 5 senses to be applied to the virtual reality experience, I don’t believe there is a danger of something like “Veelox” or the Matrix to happen. I mean at a concert half the experience is getting in with the crowd, pushing, sweating, singing at the top of your lungs and just losing yourself to the music. Even if the CAVE could make a concert seem closer and more 3-Demensional than my computer or TV, I would never choose it because of the comfort it affords me over the actual experience